Today began the countdown to my sister’s annual Halloween party. I decided to have a go at a 3D skull cake, despite my ineptitude when it comes to baking.
This is what the box shows:
I used 2 boxes of regular cake mix (really far too much, I think one box would’ve done the job just fine).
Here’s a photo of it busting out of the mold, I also had a small side cake I made with excess batter.
I used powdered sugar and decorating gel for the finishing touches. I did color some frosting to kind of try to seal the two halves together, though I don’t think it was necessary. Also, my poor coloring skills and half-assed icing job made it look more like a fun little Easter bonnet instead of my intended rotting brain.
Thankfully the “blood” and “dust” was enough to hide most of that tragedy. All in all a fun experience, it looks pretty impressive, and the pan did all the work.
I rate it 10/10, would bake again.
In other news:
No update on word count yet, but the night is still young! I’m going to try to get something written tonight, I’ve got a date with a particularly mischievous elf that I’m excited to get started on.